Wednesday 6 October 2010

Beauty and the Beat samples

There's no doubting that Edan's 'Beauty and the Beat' was one of the best albums of the last decade. In fact it is possibly one of the most interesting and diverse pieces of hip hop in the genres rather short history.

I was so taken with the albums sampled collage of psychedelic rock and obscure 80's hip hop that I decided to try to source most of the samples that Edan had used. So about four years ago I started my mission...

Some of the source material was pretty obvious and easy to find but a couple of tracks took me a long while to hunt down. Some were found courtesy of tip offs from friends, and some I just found out of sheer luck by listening to literally hundreds of albums. Through lack of motivation I finally gave up my hunt a while ago, so this isn't the complete list by any means.

I have to say that this compilation has opened my eyes to a generation of musicians and genres of amazing music that I'd previously overlooked. Hopefully it will do the same for you. Check it out here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good job, man.

Anonymous said...

great ! thanks a lot for this one, i was looking for the making planets sample a long time.

Anonymous said...

Dammit - gone already! Please can you re-upload? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

oh mann please re up this